Today I was able to comfortably wear a pair of my jeans.  Of course I had to go through my closet and every pair of jeans I own to find THE ONE pair that I could comfortably get on.  I’m not any smaller than I was pre-surgery, but I do still have a lot of swelling around my abdomen, so it’s hard to get a pair of jeans to sit comfortably around my contained swelling.  I don’t know why I was thinking, “This is going to be great!”, because what’s so great about putting on the same pair of pants that you wore every day?  It’s not as though I had gastric bypass 8 months ago and these jeans were my goal.  I had a bilateral mastectomy and breast reconstruction; this has nothing to do with wearing pants.  But, anyway, I wore jeans today instead of sweat pants or athletic pants.

04/05/12 - Jeans!

I did manage some more household tasks on my own today while the girls were at baby gym and playing.  I did two loads of laundry alone (I couldn’t put everything away by myself because of my limited range of motion), I made lunch for myself and the girls, and I prepared 50% of dinner for our family myself.  I say 50% because I reheated chicken that my sister made for us before she left.  But I made the sides and got everything out and on the table by 6 p.m.  I was also able to do the dinner clean up while Mike gave our girls their bath, and we’re all ready for a nice GOOD NIGHT!

Speaking of good night, I am hoping that I will sleep well tonight having, again, foregone my mid-day nap.  I did get super tired after about 3 p.m., which was typically when I would make myself a latte and push through the end of the day.  However, I’m still not allowed caffeine so I just have to push through being tired and hope that it translates into a better night of sleep.  Last night I did sleep ok, but I am plagued by this weird 2 a.m. wake up that I just can’t get rid of.  After I woke up last night I was able to return to sleep faster than I have previous nights, but it’s a hassle because I wake up sore and stiff, get out of bed to walk around and try to loosen up my upper body.  Then I wrangle myself back onto my crazy contour pillow in the dark, all the while trying not to disturb Mike (or our cats), or hurt myself, or fall on the floor.

I also slept with my left arm propped up on a pillow like I did the previous night.  It is helping my discomfort during the day, but it is not completely alleviating it.  I don’t understand why I’m having pain in my collar bone and shoulder when my surgical sites had nothing to do with those areas.  But it could be a result as moving (or not moving) how I normally do because my movements have been so guarded and flower-delicate like.  I’m hopeful that time does heal all (surgical) wounds and woes.

I can’t think of much else to discuss tonight, so I’m going to try to sleep.

Here is your daily dose of Dermabond…


04/05/12 - Frontal

04/05/12 - Flaps

04/05/12 - Improved bruising

04/05/12 - Right side

04/05/12 - Left side still swollen