In case you hadn’t guessed by the title of this, today was a gloriously sunny and warm day; tomorrow is supposed to be the same (if they’re not lying to us)!  After having a day of less swelling on my left side noob, it’s back with a vengeance today.  I’ve been doing my physical therapy stretches and massages but I can’t tell if I’m seeing changes because I’ve started incorporating these things into my day or, again, if it’s just an amalgamation of things.  I’ve been carrying the girls, being active with them, and using my left arm more vigorously and often than I had been.  So, who knows at this point what it will do over the entirety of my recovery.

I’ve noticed the past couple of days how different each of my sides feel.  As of about last week, my right noob really doesn’t feel like a reconstructed breast.  Other than not having sensation on the skin where my natural breast (and nipple) used to be, it has pretty much fallen in with the rest of this body.  But, on the converse, I am acutely aware of my left noob all the time every day.  Laying down, standing up, walking, sitting, sleeping.  It is a source of constant discomfort and some worry.  When I lay down, I feel the weight of my left noob shift to either side.  When I stand up, I feel it fall.  When I’m asleep, it is bothersome because it causes me discomfort and wakes me.  I’m not sure how much of this is “normal” during recovery (to have one side more bothersome), how much is different and unexpected because of my recent increased activity (but I question that because the left side has been a pain since day 1), and how much of it is psychosomatic.

Speaking of psychosomatic, I noticed how much better I immediately felt after Drs. Louie and Liu told me that I was off of my weight bearing restrictions and could start to work my way back to my pre-surgery normal.  Even though, in the days leading up to that appointment, I had a lot of discomfort and questions about it – just them saying “you’re ok to do what you did before” alleviated some of those complaints.  I’m not sure if my excitement help me forget and everything just went back to normal after the adrenalin high went away, or if this is something else entirely different.  I just wanted to be honest about the waxing and waning improvement because I don’t want someone who is planning to have this surgery read my blog posts and think “Week 5 or 6 is the money spot!”.  I’m still having pain and discomfort on my left side but it is manageable without pain medication, and for a couple of days I didn’t take either Tylenol or Ibuprofen for it.  Today I took both (T & I).   I’ll keep commenting on my left side as long as I feel it is noticeable enough in my day(s) to discuss here.  Hopefully, that won’t be too much longer.  All that being said, I’m still happy with my surgical results thus far.


And now for the (almost) daily double…


04/21/12 - Frontal

04/21/12 - Flaps

04/21/12 - Abdomen

04/21/12 - Right side

04/21/12 - Left side